Amazing Facts about India & Indians!
India is the world's largest, oldest, continuous civilization.
India is the world's largest democracy.
Varanasi, also known as Benares, was called "the ancient city" when Lord Buddha visited it in 500 B.C.E, and is the oldest, continuously inhabited city in the world today.
India invented the Number System. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta.
The World's first university was established in Takshashila in 700BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects. The University of Nalanda built in the 4th century BC was one of the greatest achievements of ancient India in the field of education.
Sanskrit is the mother of all the European languages. Sanskrit is the most suitable language for computer software - a report in Forbes magazine, July 1987.
Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to humans. Charaka, the father of medicine consolidated Ayurveda 2500 years ago. Today Ayurveda is fast regaining its rightful place in our civilization.
The art of Navigation was born in the river Sindhu 6000 years ago. The very word Navigation is derived from the Sanskrit word NAVGATIH. The word navy is also derived from Sanskrit 'Nou'. Bhaskaracharya calculated the time taken by the earth to orbit the sun hundreds of years before the astronomer Smart. Time taken by earth to orbit the sun: (5th century) 365.258756484 days.
The value of pi was first calculated by Budhayana, and he explained the concept of what is known as the Pythagorean Theorem. He discovered this in the 6th century long before the European mathematicians.
Algebra, trigonometry and calculus came from India. Quadratic equations were by Sridharacharya in the 11th century. The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 106 whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10**53(10 to the power of 53) with specific names as early as 5000 BCE during the Vedic period. Even today, the largest used number is Tera 10**12(10 to the power of 12).
IEEE has proved what has been a century old suspicion in the world scientific community that the pioneer of wireless communication was Prof. Jagdish Bose and not Marconi.
The earliest reservoir and dam for irrigation was built in Saurashtra.
According to Saka King Rudradaman I of 150 CE a beautiful lake called Sudarshana was constructed on the hills of Raivataka during Chandragupta Maurya's time.
Chess (Shataranja or AshtaPada) was invented in India.
Sushruta is the father of surgery. 2600 years ago he and health scientists of his time conducted complicated surgeries like cesareans, cataract, artificial limbs, fractures, urinary stones and even plastic surgery and brain surgery. Usage of anesthesia was well known in ancient India. Over 125 surgical equipment were used. Deep knowledge of anatomy, physiology, etiology, embryology, digestion, metabolism, genetics and immunity is also found in many texts.
When many cultures were only nomadic forest dwellers over 5000 years ago, Indians established Harappan culture in Sindhu Valley (Indus Valley Civilization).
The four religions born in India, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism, are followed by 25% of the world's population.
The place value system, the decimal system was developed in India in 100 BC.
India is one of the few countries in the World, which gained independence without violence. India has the second largest pool of Scientists and Engineers in the World.
India is the largest English speaking nation in the world.
India is the only country other than US and Japan, to have built a super computer indigenously.
Why to Visit India
- Incredible Diversity - It is impossible to make a blanket statement about India because when you find one thing to be true somewhere the opposite is also true.
- Sensory Adventure - As a country that can't be explained - It must be experienced.
- Regional Cuisine - People often say it's all "Curry" but that's not true - there is a surprising amount of diversity in the cuisine.
- Genuine People - One of the most genuine People / Helpful / Hospitality is astonishing.
- Bollywood culture - It's a national past time and cultural phenomenon - Song/Dance and suspend the laws or reality - just embrace the cheesiness.
- Study Abroad - It's not a vacation - It's a journey and you face cultural immersion. Every stop is a learning.
- Learn a Language - 15 + National Languages - it's fun to learn most popular - like - Hindi.
- Service learning (Meaningful journeys) - Hands on Experience - Giving back to community through Education and supporting Institutions.
- Big cities and rural villages - Witness urban cities / modernization and feel the peace and simplistic life style of the villages.
- The Taj Mahal - Eternal Love - Romantically Sad story to accompany.
- Religious Diversity - Melting pot of religions but witness the religious tolerance and co-existence of different religions.
- History - Most ancient surviving civilization - understand move towards modernity.
- Himalayas - Highest mountain range.
- Cricket - It's a national Obsession.
- An emerging world power - Largest democracy & second most populous country.
- Yoga - Birth Place of Yoga.
- Influential personalities -Mahatma Gandhi / Mother Teresa / Tagore / Swami Vivekananda / Lord Buddha.
- Religious Festivals - Occur on a regular basis and entire communities participate.
- Folk Art - India has abundance of folk art. Each regions has unique style.
- Volunteering - challenging but extremely rewarding.
Famous Quotes on India (by non-Indians)
We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made.
Hu Shih, former Ambassador of China to US
India conquered and dominated China culturally for 20 centuries without ever having to send a single soldier across her border.
India is, the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grandmother of tradition. Our most valuable and most instructive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only.
French scholar Romain Rolland
If there is one place on the face of earth where all the dreams of living men have found a home from the very earliest days when man began the dream of existence, it is India.